January 12, 2011

Foundations List & Swatches

If you're a girl like me, then you find yourself in constant search of the perfect makeup products, especially when it comes to the face. Considering I have sensitive skin, this has been an ongoing search. If you're just starting to get into makeup and want to look flawless, foundation is a core step.

Foundation Basics
Consider these questions when purchasing a foundation-

What's my skin type and undertone?
How can I find a perfect shade of foundation?
What is my price range/budget?
What ingredients should I stay away from?
What skin finish am I trying to achieve?

Step into a major department store or specialty beauty store and most of these questions can be answered by a beauty consultant. I have some tips on that process as well- feel free to just ask questions and not feel pressured to buy, find out if the company has free mini samples to try before purchasing the full foundation, and have the consultant match your shade and then see if you can find a similar shade at a drugstore. I love luxurious products but as a college student, drugstore brands work perfectly fine for me and are a fraction of the cost of department store brands.

Also, consider the season in which you are going to be wearing the foundation. Winter time can be more harsh to the skin and may require a different foundation formula than during the summer. Thankfully, beauty companies produce all different formulations for foundation.

My Foundations: 

The Favorites: Revlon PhotoReady & Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer 

Revlon PhotoReady Foundation ($9) is my favorite foundation at the moment. The Foundation is a liquid formula with a tiny bit of shimmer that creates a gorgeous glow to the face. It's great on my sensitive skin and it's the one foundation that I've been able to use year round without any problems. The coverage is medium but can be built up. SHADE: 05 Natural Beige.

Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer ($42) is my favorite tinted moisturizer ever! I use it as a foundation and although it is costly it is definitely worth the price. It has a creamy formula and diffuses redness on the face. There are so many shades to choose from and it is sheer to medium coverage. SHADE: Bisque.

Perfect for Photoshoots: MAC Studio Sticks

MAC Studio Sticks ($29.50) are incredible for professional photos, weddings and special occasions. The creamy formula is meant to last without creasing or caking for many hours and the stick provides full coverage. I recommend applying this foundation with a foundation brush. SHADES: NC30 & NW25

Compacts: MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus & MAC Mineralize SPF 15 

MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation ($26) is a great choice for a matte foundation look. This is one of MAC's best formulations for sensitive skin. The compact comes with a mirror and sponge applicator, so it's perfect for on the go touch ups.

MAC Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation ($32) is thick and creamy and great for dry skin because it gives off a dewy finish. The shades run a bit dark but I recommend getting swatched at the MAC counter. 

Full Coverage Foundations: MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 & bareMinerals Matte

* These foundations started off working wonderfully on my skin, but after 2 weeks I broke out from both. If you have normal skin, these should probably work fine. 

MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 ($26) is a full coverage foundation that works great on normal skin. It is a liquid formula that goes on smooth and blends great with the skin. I really love this foundation but hates that it makes my sensitive skin break out! I wanted to review it because several people have perfectly fine reactions to it and it does give great coverage. The smell is a bit funky though. SHADE: NW30

bareMinerals Matte SPF 15 ($28) is also a full coverage powder foundation. So many women rave about this foundation and suggest that it is the perfect foundation for sensitive skin. I have to disagree. The foundation made my skin look chalky and broke me out. I also tried the original formula with no luck. I'd recommend this for normal skin as well. SHADE: Medium Beige W20

SWATCHES

1) MAC Studio Fix Fluid NW30
2) MAC Mineralize Foundation NC30
3) MAC Studio Stick NC30
4) MAC Studio Stick NW25
5) Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer Bisque
6) Revlon PhotoReady 05 Natural Beige



1 comment: