March 13, 2011

New Curly Hair Regimen

Have you ever woken up and thought to yourself- It's time for a change. I found myself contemplating that thought this whole weekend and I narrowed it down to my hair. In the last few months I've experienced a crazy journey with my hair, from a bad salon dye job to lack of curls. Now that my hair has finally settled back into a decent state, I've decided to start taking extremely good care of my curls. I cut my hair into a bob about three times now in the last year and a half and now I'm ready for it to grow long and healthy. 
My hair right now
The longest my hair has ever been (6 years ago)
I've tried countless products claiming to be fantastic for curls and yet to have found my perfect products. Instead of wasting more money, I went to a wonderful source for advice and product reviews, NaturallyCurly.com. Check it out ASAP!

I stumbled across one of their popular articles, How to Create Your Hair Regimen. If you have the time, take a look and get ready to learn a lot about curly hair care. You can customize your regimen to suit your needs, as I will be doing starting today.

In the past, I would shampoo and condition my hair every single day, sometimes twice a day because I believed that was the right thing to do. Now I'm coming to realize that over-shampooing is just drying up my curls and I need to ease up on that because my hair can go a few days without any shampoo. I work out regularly and still shower everyday but I will be trying out a new technique called "co-washing" (conditioner washing) or just rinsing with water on every other day. I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but I'm going to give it a try, track my progress, and blog about my results to all of you. I only hope that the end result is nice and healthy curls!

My Hair Regimen:


 First Steps: Shampoo & Condition

In the shower, I wet my hair and then apply a quarter size of L'oreal EverSleek Reparative Shampoo to my scalp and roots. I then lather it up and massage it onto my hair and allow it to soak in. After that I rinse out and apply a quarter size of L'oreal EverSleek Reparative Smoothing Conditioner to my ends and shaft of my hair. I allow that to soak in for 1-2 minutes and I twist my curls into shape around my fingers. Then I rinse and blot my hair dry with a towel.

Next Step: Moisturize & Treat
Today my routine started at night so I won't be styling it until tomorrow morning. To reduce chances of having to re-wash my hair tomorrow morning, I applied a small amount of Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Finishing Touch Cream all over my hair and mixed that with a few drops of my Macadamia Oil Treatment.

To sleep on my hair, I tie my hair up on the top of my head in a style called "the pineapple" and leave it to air dry all night. 
My attempt at the Pineapple Method
Tomorrow morning I should only have to spritz my hair with some water to freshen it up and apply some styling products to achieve great curls. I'm a big fan of mousses, and so far I like Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Mousse. Today I purchased the new TRESemme Climate Control Mousse. I will be using either of these two products and can't wait to see the results!

Check back this week to see follow-ups of my new routine. I want to embrace my natural texture and if you're hoping to do so as well feel free to comment below with your hair routine or a list of products that work for you!

*Products can be found at Ulta, Target, or Walmart and are under $10 each!

6 comments:

  1. owh but your hair looks so curly! As much as ive always cursed my dead straight hair, this post does make me realise that if I had curly hair, I wouldnt take care of it at all and it would probably look absolutely horrid all the time!
    just letting you know that because you follow me, you can enter my giveaway here http://www.thursdayschilddiary.com/2011/03/2x-giveaway.html

    have a lovely week! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog it's so interesting! I actually prefer your hair in the current bob state. Curls are so cute, they look great on you. http://thearcenciel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. your hair looks gorgeous, i love the curls, i wish my hair was curly. the shorter cut looks great on you, its nice to have a change every so often

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I have wavy/curly hair and I love the Tousle me softly mousse. It's amazing.

    I just wanted to tell you that I just awarded you with the Versatile Blogger Award, so go check it out on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much guys for all the compliments-totally appreciate it!

    Frugalspender19-thanks so much for awarding me! Your blog is great :)

    ReplyDelete