April 12, 2011

The Art of Relaxation and Self-Love

photo credit:Helga Weber

College courses + illness + work + chores = STRESS.

I don't know about you all but it seems as though my work has been piling up and my stress level has significantly increased in the last month or so. If I didn't know any better, I'd grab a tub of ice cream and wallow away, but DON'T do that- or at least indulge for a day but then get back on track ladies! Times can get tough, but that's when you must step back, take a deep breath, and move forward.

In the past, I did a post on living a healthy lifestyle, which you can read here. I mentioned eating habits and exercise as important factors, but today I want to touch upon other little improvements that will make a huge different in de-stressing your life and upgrading your happiness level.

Whether your stressed from relationships, work, school or what not, please don't allow it to get the best of you. Simply, "keep calm and carry on." I happened to be shopping at Target and saw a picture frame with that quote in it and had an ah ha moment!

So what can you do to reduce your stress level? Take care of yourself! You can't control outside forces, but you can control how you react and live your life. Take time to consider what makes you happy in your life and then try applying them starting today!

Here are some suggestions:

1. If you enjoy music or reading, go buy or check out a great read and snuggle in bed with the book. Then blast your favorite songs in your room or in the car and jam out to it. Taking your mind off of whatever is stressing you out, even if it's just a temporary fix, will help.

2. Try a new exercise regimen. Now is not the time to let your body go to shambles. If you're getting bored of the treadmill, try going outside for a walk or bike ride. I happen to have really gotten into bellydancing lately, and it is so fun that it doesn't even feel like I'm working out!

3. Try new things! Go out and explore new options that will make yourself happy! Try a new food or do something entirely spontaneous, you never know who you might meet or what could happen. I really wanted to re-learn Spanish, so I'm starting to take lessons again and I'm excited for the future.

4. Spend time with people you care about! Call your girls and go out for a night. Socializing and laughing are great remedies for stress. You can even spend quality time with your family- rent a movie or play board games at home.

5. Find inspiration online or invest in self-help books. There is no shame in trying to improve yourself, so research online for great books to motivate you, such as The Secret or A New Earth. I also really enjoy reading other inspirational blogs on success and happiness and watching online vlogs. Two girls that really know their stuff is Megan from Charade and Jessica Harlow with her inspirational videos.

6. Treat yourself to a mini makeover or go shopping. Nothing says fun like a little retail therapy :) I'm not saying you splurge all of your money on beauty/hair supplies, but a little transformation and pampering can go a long way! I recently got highlights and bought a new shade of lipgloss and it's already doing wonders for my self confidence. And speaking of confidence- build up your self confidence! If you don't love yourself, how can you expect anyone else to? 

No one can love you as much as you love yourself, so take time to focus on yourself and be the best you that you possible can be. 

What do you do to relax or de-stress? I'd love to know!

2 comments:

  1. i agree! i tend to put off taking time for myself, but its so refreshing when i do! :)

    ReplyDelete